Thursday 23 April 2015

Evaluation Question Four (How did I use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?)

WEB2.0:
When planning for my product I needed to find the codes and conventions of dubstep music videos, digipaks and promotional posters. As dubstep is a relatively new music genre it was quite hard to find any articles online to lay out the codes and conventions however I found a SlideShare which outlined them for me. After using this to get started, I looked further online to find more in depth information about the codes and conventions. I found a web forum specifically for dubstep, called dubstepforum.com. This was very useful as it gave me a chance to see what real dubstep fan likes, dislike and want to see in new music videos and albums. I found that the colour scheme I used is very popular among dubstep fans. I created a Prezi to show my research into the history of music videos, which allowed me to further understand the codes and conventions of music videos as I had a better knowledge of how the form had changed throughout history in order to get to the 21st Century. For my product I decided to break the conventions associated with stereotypes such as Richard Dyer’s stereotypes theory as in my story a male character is seen as weak and is killed by a female character, which is the opposite to most narratives of this kind. I used social media such as Facebook and Instagram to show my products to the public and get constructive criticism in order to make further edits and that way improve my products to make them more appealing to my audience. I used YouTube to look at existing music videos of the same genre that I am focusing on and created LIIAR analyses of them to see what my product should look like and helped me to shape my final product to make it look professional. I used amazon.co.uk to purchase all of my costumes and props, which allowed me to create my music video and ancillary texts cheaply and quickly as it meant that I didn’t need to go to several different shops to try to find the things that I wanted to use. I also used YouTube to upload my music video. This allowed my audience to comment on my video so I know what they liked and disliked in order to make changes and allowed me to share my video online easily using the URL or the Embeded link to allow me to put my video onto my blog. My blog helped me to create an online portfolio for my coursework which made an easy way to communicate with my audience as Blogger is owned by Google so it is compatible with all other Google owned websites and also allows comments to be made. I used the website fontspace.com to find a font that fitted the conventions of my chosen genre. I decided to look for a graffiti font and eventually decided on Feathergraphy Decoration Regular.  

Hardware:

For my music video and ancillary texts I used my Nikon D5200 camera, which allowed me to get a crisp, high definition image. To edit my music video I used Final Cut Pro X, which I found quite easy as it is a very simple video editing software programme. I used the Luma Keyer effect to make the footage darker and gave a slight vignette to give my product a horror film aesthetic, which I wanted to create. I think that the combination of these two effects worked well to create this look. Due to the pace of my song, I needed to use lots of fast paced shots which I did not consider fully when planning so I had fewer shots than I required and they were all longer in length than were required so I needed to use the blade tool in Final Cut Pro X to cut the song down. I cut some parts out of the song and blended them back together to make the cutting seamless. For my ancillary texts I used the same camera to shoot the images as it has a 21.5MP CMOS sensor which made the images clearer and better quality. To edit the images, I used Photoshop CC, 2014, which is the latest edition of Adobes creative cloud Photoshop to allow me to use the best tools available. For my digipak, I selected the background with the Magnetic Lasso Tool (L) and filled in the skyline with neon green, added some blue clouds and pink and yellow lightning bolts to give the effect of a dystopian universe, which fits in with the conventions of the dubstep genre. I used the Feathergraphy Decorative font for the artist’s logo as a house style throughout both of my ancillary texts to create continuity.   

No comments:

Post a Comment